Sunday, September 13, 2015

Time Management Reflection

"Time is the scarcest resource, and unless it is managed nothing else can be managed." -Peter Drucker

Time management is the ability to use one's time effectively or productively. I believe time management is one of the most necessary skills needed in life. Time management plays a huge role in my life and helps me maintain a balance in my life so I don't burn out. Time management strategies I currently use are prioritizing and balance. I prioritize so I get the important and urgent things done first, and also tend to get things done early so I have time for myself to relax and not stress. Through my time management activities, I learned that I like to get things done ahead of time, or else I will become stressed and worried that things won't get done. This can be both a good and bad thing, however, because it helps me stay on top of things, but also causes stress.

Time management will always be an important part of my life and will especially help me in college. Since I will have more free time in college, I need to manage my time to make sure important things, like studying, get done. One strategy I will implement into my time management routine is trying to not stress if things don't get done right away. I need to find that fine balance between getting things done on time, but not stressing if not right away. In order to improve my time management skills I will continue to prioritize and keep a balance in my schedule, especially when I go to college.

I think the 80-20 rule is an important role to keep in mind. It states that for many events, 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. I think this is really important to keep in mind when making important decisions because the decisions you make at that time will most likely effect you in the future. I think this year I have really changed my schedule to be more effective and I am a lot less busy. Since I have cut back on the amount of dance I do, I have a lot more time to focus on important things, like my internship and my job. I also have a lot more time for myself, which is a really good balance for senior year.

The time management tip I find most useful is the ability to prioritize. It helps you realize what is most important at that time and what can be put for later. I rarely find myself procrastinating and I think this is due to the fact that I like to get things done ahead of time so I don't worry about them later. One thing I knew I was spending too much time on last year was dance. I don't want to be a dancer or dance in college, so I knew I should cut back because it's not something I want to pursue. I was spending a lot of unnecessary time at my dance studio, knowing it wouldn't help me with the career I want to pursue in college. This is why I chose to cut back and am spending more time this year on my internship because it will help me with what I want to pursue in college.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Hannah! I love that you really stopped to think about the 80-20 rule. Remembering this and recognizing how to manage it will help you a lot throughout the course of your life. I have one question: are you still dancing? I can tell through your blogs that it means a lot to you. Remember that effective time management skills also leave room for you to do things you really truly love and enjoy, like dance. :) Best wishes, Mrs. Gagnon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, this is such a great representation of time management. I love the 80-20 rule, it puts a lot of perspective on life decisions and how to be the most successful by using the least amount of time. Keep doing great things, and thank you for sharing your blog!!

    ReplyDelete